Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Where are the words?

I found out last night that a friend of mine's cancer has returned. She had her stomach removed due to the cancer but it has shown up again after having tests done in the last week. The doctor's prognosis is grim. There is nothing more that will be done for her. Kathy Brutton is 32. She is married and has three children. Her husband Mike updated their blog last night. It brought tears to my eyes reading these unimaginable words. Mike said, "Please pray for Kathy and I as we tell our children that their mommy is going home to heaven." I cannot even imagine having to process this. My heart breaks at the thought. This really does not seem right. After reading the blog (which I hope you will read it as well), I had no idea how to respond. Where are the words? I ended up writing on her wall among the dozens of other posts that I will be praying for them. Prayer is all we can offer to them now. That is all they ask for.

Even in the midst of this painful news, the Brutton's are still remaining strong in their faith. I believe many who have undergone such things as cancer have questioned God's presence and meaning to why He would allow such travesty. The Brutton's do not live this way. They understand that God still has a purpose for them in all of this. They hope to further the Kingdom because of Kathy's cancer. Pretty amazing, huh? I am truly in awe and inspired by Kathy's courageous outlook she has had all along. She is a wonderful woman of God that I have had the privilege of getting to know. Kathy and Mike were my Sunday school teachers when I was in high school. I don't want to play favorites, but I have to admit they were probably the best Sunday school teachers I have had.

So please help pray for the Brutton's as they endure this time. Pray that if these are the last moments of her life that she will be able to live them out happily without pain. Pray for comfort to the family.

May God wrap His arms around Kathy and the Brutton's.


No comments: