Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's All New

New Beginnings, New Changes, New Friends...I've been at Union University in Jackson, TN for about a month, and I'm really glad to be here. Back in January, I had no idea why God was sending me here and did not know what would happen. Well, now I'm here and I definitely know that this is where God wants me to be. Though I truly miss my friends back at SBU and love them very much, I am totally content here and am adjusting to life here very well. Union has been treating me very kindly since I arrived. Though I have some difficult classes, the professors are all such great examples of Christ and each have been more than willing to kindly assist us if we ever need help. Also, I've been very impressed with the activties and events that are offered to us. The first week, they had a Howdy party for all new and returning students to see each other and hang out with music and free drinks. During labor day weekend, they had something different offered each day for those who stayed on campus. Last Friday, I saw Star Trek in our campus coffee shop called Barefoots Joe for free and it's not even out on DVD yet! Last night, all the girls' dorm RA's hosted a progressive snacking where each RA had a different snack that we could eat...like s'mores, puppy chow, queso, and chocolate covered pretzels! u So as you can see, they keep us very entertained. I really don't leave campus unless I need groceries because I have so much that I can do here.

Starting out, I got here and moved into my apartment dorm before my 3 roommates arrived because I had to go through the new student orientation weekend called Focus. The weekend was kind of boring as far as workshops and stuff go, but I was in a group of all transfer students and I got really close to all of them. For the first week, we probably hung out everyday and now we still hang out whenever possible. The dorms here are sooo nice! It's an apartment with a bedroom for each girl, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, washer/dryer, and a living room. I love having a kitchen where I can cook and bake...I've already made brownies, a cake, and I even made chicken curry for dinner one night. Also definitely loving having my own room...it's so nice to have a place of my own for privacy and studying alone.

I am so thankful for the 3 roommates that I've been blessed with. From the first time I met them, they made me feel welcome. When I found out that two of them are sisters and they were really close to the third girl, I was a little nervous that it would be awkward and that I wouldn't fit in with them. They are all nursing majors like me and all so sweet. We've had a lot of marathons watching all the seasons of the Office which is a lot of fun! I thank God everyday for blessing me with three amazing girls that I can be myself around and rely on. I love hanging out with them and look forward to continue to get to know them.

I have joined a Life Group, which is a program for new students that meets weekly to hang out. My group is mostly transfers and we get along great. We have a lot of fun! I have gotten pretty close to my leader...she lives in the building next to me so I've been hanging out with her a lot. A couple weeks ago, we all went to the West Tenn. Diamond Jaxx minor league baseball game. It was fun! Last week we had a scavenger hunt on campus against the other transfer group and we won so that was exciting. I don't know what we'll do this week, but I can't wait to hang out with them some more.

God has been so good to me since I got here. The only thing I need to work on now is studying and making sure I spend time in the word daily...been slacking a little. I have been finding myself to be a little stressed (especially since I have 4 tests and a quiz this week!).

Well, I hope this was a good update on my life and I pray that God is working as abundantly in your life as he has in mine.

In Christ,
Katlyn

No comments: